Smart Thermostats – Advantages
Smart thermostats make things easier for you. More and more technology is being built into our homes each day, and that trend is not going to turn around anytime soon. As new technology develops in the heating and air industry, one of the leading technologies making its way into modern homes is smart thermostats.
With a smart thermostat, rather than having to walk over to your thermostat to make adjustments when your home is too hot or too cold, you can automate the job with the help of technology.
Heating and cooling account for nearly half of your home’s energy costs. Today’s smart thermostats aren’t just control panels for your heating and air conditioning; these thermostats are equipped with Wi-Fi, sensors, advanced algorithms and much more. Smart thermostats offer more control over your home’s temperature and climate, therefore saving you more on your energy bill.
Here’s how those new features benefit you as a homeowner, and why you should consider smart thermostat advantages.
SMART THERMOSTATS SAVE ENERGY
A smart thermostat is accurate and informative. Smart thermostats can help homeowners and families save money each month. Using the manual and the energy saving tips that smart thermostats provide, you can create a schedule with the correct temperature zones to save you money on energy bills.
Smart thermostats are efficient and allow you to use less energy, all while helping the environment. The Nest Thermostat, as an example, predicts you will save 10-12% on heating costs and 15% on cooling costs. Ecobee says you’ll save around 23% on both heating and cooling. Other smart thermostats have similar projections.
Some smart thermostats also feature a learning ability that can remember the times you prefer to lower or raise the temperature in your home, which can result in additional monthly savings as well.
Most smart thermostats allow homeowners to connect their devices via Wi-Fi. These Wi-Fi thermostats contain sensors which control the heating and cooling systems in a home and work in conjunction with your HVAC system.
This means that you have the ability to control your home’s temperature even when you are not home by logging in from anywhere in the world with an internet connection and making corrections to your thermostat. So if you ever forget to turn down your thermostat before going to work or on vacation, this feature is very helpful.
SMART THERMOSTATS LEARN YOUR TEMPERATURE PREFERENCES
Ten years ago, programmable thermostats were the latest trend, but with advances in technology, smart thermostats learn your temperature habits over time and adjust accordingly, while a programmable thermostat only allows you to schedule temperature changes for specific days and times.
Thermostats like the Nest smart thermostat have the ability to automatically adjust the temperature based on the surrounding temperature. In combination with their sensors, they can “learn” when people are active and when heating/cooling needs to be on, then automatically change your temperature over time as it learns your daily habits and preferences, which will keep extra cash in your pocket.
This helps save time when first programming, and when shifting schedules as the seasons change, making automatic temperature adjustments while you’re away from home.
CONVENIENCE OF ADJUSTING THE TEMPERATURE FROM ANYWHERE
WiFi compatibility is one of the most convenient and sought after features in a smart thermostat. In-home temperature control is at your virtual fingertips from nearly anywhere in the world with the simple download and installation of a corresponding app on your phone.
Forgot to bump up the temperature of the air conditioner before leaving for vacation? A smart thermostat has you covered from any location with an Internet connection. If you are away on vacation, you can quickly access your smart thermostat to check on the temperature of the home. Maybe you want to make sure the heat isn’t left on while you are away – or maybe you want to turn it on the day before you arrive back home. Whatever the case, a smart thermostat will be up to the task.
OTHER SMART THERMOSTAT ADVANTAGES
Smart thermostats are designed to make your life easier and to do the thinking for you. They have very useful features such as maintenance reminders and the ability to monitor energy consumption.
A smart thermostat has dirty filter detection so it can notify you when it is time to replace your air filter. You can monitor energy consumption every week to know if your energy use has gone up or down and to become smarter about how you program your thermostat:
- Movement Sensors. A smart thermostat is equipped with sensors that detect when people are up and active in the house. This allows the sensors to note the times when you and your family are in the house (mornings, evenings, etc.) and when you are gone, which helps with scheduling.
- A modern look for your home. A smart thermostat definitely helps to instill a modern touch in your home. Many smart thermostat brands provide you with the capability of adjusting the on-screen colors to accent the color pallet in your home.
- Receive Important Alerts. You can setup your thermostat – depending on the model – to send you alerts based on dramatic changes in the temperature of your home. By taking a moment to set up the parameters for an alert, you can be sure that you’ll be notified right away when the temperature strays from its acceptable range.
- Eliminate Mistakes. It is easy to forget to adjust your thermostat, and forgetting to make a change can mean wasted energy costs. With a smart thermostat, you can trust the technology to learn your preferences and adapt as necessary. Some smart thermostats even detect that you are not home and respond accordingly.
- Enter Vacation Mode. When you leave your home for an extended period of time, you often need to ‘change’ your normal thermostat settings to customize them for your trip. Then, when you return, you need to set everything up again. With a smart thermostat, you can simply use vacation mode while you are gone and then return to standard settings with just the push of a button.
- Easy Programming. You don’t need to be afraid of this technology, as it is designed to be easy to use. No matter how uncomfortable you are with computers and technology, you’ll be able to figure this out with ease.
- Track Energy Usage. By monitoring how your home is using energy day by day, you can make adjustments to your thermostat in order to come away with a more efficient plan. Lastly, it tracks your past energy usage and provides reports for any time period you select. The reports enable you to identify where you can cut costs on future energy bills.
Having a smart thermostat can make your life more comfortable. Heading home from work on a cold night and want to have the house warm upon your arrival? No problem – use your app to turn up the heat, and come home to a cozy house. It’s just that easy.
So Cal Services is proud to offer the best in thermostat technology from the most reputable brands on the market. We also offer water heaters, air conditioners, furnaces and other systems that provide comfort and increase indoor air quality.
When it comes to your in-home comfort, there’s no need to compromise. We provide professional, competent, honest, and fair service to each and every client. If you’re ready for a smart thermostat, give us a call at 951-926-1978
Tags: Smart Thermostat, save electricity costs, A/C efficiency, heating efficiency, thermostat types